The primary mission of the Forensics Section is to serve as a leader in the field of forensic science; to provide scientific and technical assistance regarding forensic science matters to the Santa Monica Police Department and the community in which it serves.
Key functions carried out by the Forensics Section in support of this mission include:
- To properly collect, preserve and analyze physical and biological evidence submitted to the Forensics Section.
- To provide timely, effective and impartial forensic analysis in support of law enforcement activities.
- To provide expert testimony in courts of law.
- To implement and observe health, safety and environmental laws, regulations and laboratory security requirements.
- To provide educational information and support to individuals who request our help in exploring or developing forensic science as a profession.
- To implement a quality assurance system that ensures that the final product generated by the Forensics Section is of the highest quality possible while meeting the needs of the criminal justice community.
The Forensics Section operates 21 hours a day, 7 days a week, and is staffed by a Forensic Manager, (1) Lead Forensic Specialist, (7) Forensic Specialists and (1) Forensic Technician. They provide technical support at crime scenes and are responsible for photographic documentation, evaluation of potential evidence, collection and preservation of physical and biological evidence. They provide chemical processing laboratory services and technical expertise in the analysis and examination of latent fingerprint evidence.
Live Scan Services
The Forensics Section provides Live Scan services to the public. Live Scan fingerprinting refers to both the technique and the technology used by law enforcement agencies to capture fingerprints electronically. Live Scan is commonly used for sexual offender registration, civil applicant and background checks.
Live Scan services are available at the Public Safety Facility (333 Olympic Drive) on selected days of the week. For more information about Live Scan services, please visit our Live Scan Information Page.